Help! need large (>1Gb) SCSI drives for a sparc

Jeff Weber cg-atla!weber at cg-atla.agfa.com
Wed Feb 21 06:47:23 AEST 1990

In article <11056 at stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> kus3 at tank.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

|I need to find a SCSI drive (between 1 and 2.5 Gb) and I'm running into a
|brick wall:
|
|a) the only thing that I've been able to find is the Imprimus-2 line (from
|Seagate).  Are there other alternatives?  It already have two internal
|SCSI drive and a tape drive from Sun, and I seem to have remembered
|something (at least about the Sparcstation1s) about there being a limit to
|the number of SCSI devices it can handle (like 5-7 total), so I'd rather
|have something huge rather than chaining a bunch of smaller ones together.

Micropolis has a 1.2GB 5.25in drive on the market.  CDC offers a drive
about the same capacity in an 8in formfactor.

|b) has anyone gotten something this large to work? format?

When it comes to putting strange drives on a Sun, you're on your own.
They have a very poor SCSI implimentation that is very difficult to
support and their format program is more than a little buggy.  All you can
do is try it.