getwd() problems

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Fri Feb 2 13:59:29 AEST 1990

>Suppose a user logs in into process1, and goes to the directory
>/usr/kti/proj2. Note that this is physically a directory of process2. When
>he tries to do a 'pwd' he gets the message "pwd: getwd: can't open .."

The same thing happened to us today.  I found the problem by typing "cd
.." over and over again until it failed.  The problem was that "/.." (the
root directory) was protected drwxrw---- instead of drwxr-xr-x.

Do an "ls -ld /" on both systems to be sure.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS at F74.TYMNET.COM or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."