Dynamic linking and undump/unexec

Viktor Dukhovni viktor at melon.princeton.edu
Sat Feb 17 05:56:56 AEST 1990

While indeed undump may be tricky for Dynamic executables under SunOS 4.0,
I am sure it is not impossible.

I have just sent a shared library "unexec" to be used with emacs 19.0 to
the FSF,  I am using it now to reliably build a shared emacs-18.55 Emacs
uses its own malloc,   so all one needs to do on entry is adjust the
break.

I had at one point been undumping TeX succesfully with 4.0.1 again (undump
needed some modification),  but this was made easy by the fact that TeX
does not use malloc.

I have not tries to unexec any executables that use the shared malloc, so
I cannot comment on how this might be done.  I approach would be to use
your own malloc and link it statically into any program you plan to
undump.

	Viktor Dukhovni <viktor at math.princeton.edu>	: ARPA
		<...!uunet!princeton!math!viktor>	: UUCP
	Fine Hall, Washington Rd., Princeton, NJ 08544  : US-Post
		+1-(609)-258-5792		 	: VOICE