problems with KIP0688 and CAP5.0 on Sparkstation1

John Scott McCauley Jr. ss01!jsm at princeton.edu
Sun Feb 4 05:12:00 AEST 1990

In article <4362 at brazos.Rice.edu> MLMCKEE at AUDUCVAX.BITNET writes:

>and then atalkad core dumps (at inet_ntoa() at 0xf777a860).  Has anyone
>encountered this before? (I contacted ralerche at lindy.stanford.edu and he
>said that atalkad core dumped for him too; at which point he switched to
>TOPS for sun).  any ideas on what to try next?

I gave up at this point too. Note that f7.77.a8.60 is probably a valid IP
address on your net. The problem seems to be that the hostname data
conventions have changed over the years and that atalkad has to be
rewritten to reflect these changes. Funny thing, atalkad works fine on a
Decstation -- perhaps it is using some backwards-compatible setup that
SunOS lacks.

I decided to run K-Star which came with our KFPS-4. It works with CAP --
be careful with Option 11 that maps Appletalk ports to UDP port numbers.
It also is stand-alone so it doens't need an atalkad. Note that running
without an atalkad may be a bad idea if you have a complex network.

Under kip, you might be able to add some static information at the end of
the config-gw.srec file so you don't need an atalkad someplace.

	Hope this helps,
	Scott

jsm%ss01.pppl.gov at ccc.nmfecc.gov