SunOS 4.0.3 telnet problems

Milo S. Medin medin at cincsac.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 24 19:04:13 AEST 1990

I don't think your problem is in in.telnetd.  We had the same problem
here.  It turned out to be /bin/login hanging.  If you see a /bin/login -h
hostname -p hanging around the same ptys that the telnetd is attached to,
you have the problem I am talking about.

The cause is that inetd was manually restarted from a shell, and thus
inherited the environment of it's parent process.  It's this environment
that causes things to wedge, because the -p flag to login tells it to
preserve the environment, and the environment that it inherits from inetd
screws it up.  Rebooting the system creates a fresh inetd, minus the
contaminating environment.  SUN knows about this, and it's fixed in 4.1,
due out soon.  I forget the bug #, but if you tell this to your system
support people, they can probably get it from SUN.

						Thanks,
						   Milo