printcap for a large site; how???

Robert E. Wargaski Jr. wargaski at acns.nwu.edu
Mon Feb 19 19:43:43 AEST 1990

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 9, Issue 50, message 2, Fred Comins writes:
>We have many printers and are getting another 45 laser jets.  The problem
>is that all users want to be able to get to any of the printers.   I'm
>looking for advice on the easiest way to keep this managed.  Currently we
>were planning to use rdist with 1 master printcap with an entrie for every
>printer.  Any better ideas??  Do I have to have a spool directory for
>each??  thanks

I have read the introductory document for the Palladium Printing System
from MIT's Project Athena; it sounds like they have the best approach to
managing a large printing environment.

I wish I could offer more practical advice, but we have not yet built the
programs it requires (e.g. Kerberos, Zephyr, Hesiod, if recall serves me
correctly).  At least it is an alternative you can check out.

Robert E. Wargaski Jr.			| This is stupid. -- Vila
wargaski at acns.nwu.edu			| When did that ever stop us. -- Avon
NU Distributed Systems Support		| . . . #include <disclaimer.h> . . .