Suns at Home?

Adam Curtin adam at stevenage.dynamics.british-aerospace.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 20:43:43 AEST 1990

In v9n52, Tom Perrine asks about a multi-user, windows, Unix micro for
home use.  I don't know about availability in the States, but UK firm
Acorn (owned by Olivetti, owned by ...) have a low-cost (~4K sterling)
Unix (4.2 BSD in fact) workstation called the R140. RAM is (I believe)
fixed at 4Mb, and the basic system has a 40Mb hard disk crammed with most
Unix things you ever thought of, including X11 and the IXI desktop. The
CPU is Acorn's own ARM (Acorn RISC Machine), the latest version of which
provides about 10 MIPS. A floating point accelerator is an option, as are
Ethernet and Cheapernet cards. The base price does not include a screen -
monitors upto 1152x900 mono are supported I think.

You should be able to get to someone at Acorn by writing to Acorn
Computers Ltd, Fulbourn Rd, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge CB1 4JN, England, or
mailing aingle at acorn.co.uk

PS knowing how you feel about computers that aren't starred and striped -
didn't I hear about a Unix Amiga? or was it an Atari ST? The ARM is a
better computer, though!

Adam Curtin
acurtin at ste.dyn.bae.co.uk