Third Party RAM and Disks

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Sat Feb 10 16:12:09 AEST 1990

>Is [buying third party ram and disks] a mean thing to do to Sun?
>Or do people do it all the time?  And

"mean thing to do"?  If Sun chooses to charge outrageous prices for their
ram/drives, then they deserve to not sell any of them.  If we can, we'll
buy our next Sparc-1's with *no* ram whatsoever.  For ~ $85/Mb, you can
get Siemens (or other quality) ram from a semi-reputable Mac house.  We
just got a CDC/Impremis/Seagate V w/ case, power and cable from Clayton
Computers for $2500.  (It did take them a week to get a working internal
cable to us, however, I think they just happened to get a bad lot of
drive->scsi cables.)

It's like buying a car -- I'll buy it at the dealer, but unless there's a
marked difference in quality (ie: no name brand available), I'll get my
parts whereever they're cheap.

J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(tm).