Sun 4/390 server

Rich Sudlow rich at ndcvb.cc.nd.edu
Fri Feb 9 02:33:02 AEST 1990

We recently installed a Sun 4/390 server with 30 diskless clients
containing 16 MB of memory. However we found that it was fairly slow and
performance dropped considerably with just with just a few clients
running. It appears that many times the nfsd's just start to run for no
reason at all (Yes we did reboot the clients with the server). Has anyone
had similar problems of this sort??

Also has anyone done any formal testing of the degredation caused by
making links to links to links etc.. which are so common in the SunOS.

I am also interested in hearing about the horror's of using ethernet or
FDDI between servers of the 4/390 or 4/490 class.  Thanks in advance.

Please send mail directly to myself.

Rich Sudlow
University of Notre Dame OUC
rich at samson.cc.nd.edu