Using YP to change passwords

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Thu Jan 4 23:43:15 AEST 1990

In article <4002 at brazos.Rice.edu> sequent!jsc at cs.utexas.edu writes:
:yppasswd to change their password, the password gets changed in the YP
:database, but the client is not updated until the next time root pushes
:the passwd file with yppush.  The support folks tell me this is the
:functionality of 4.03.  Is that true?  Is so, how do some of the rest of
:you work with this?  Do you put yppush in crontab?

To do an automatic yppush whenever anyone runs yppasswd, simply add "-m"
to the line in /etc/rc, as in:

if [ -f /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd ]; then
	rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd -m;	(echo -n ' yppasswdd')	>/dev/console
fi

The -m tells yppasswdd to do the equivalent of "(cd /var/yp; make passwd)"
whenever yppasswd is invoked from any client.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS at F74.TYMNET.COM or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."