Need X-based vt1xx emulator for Sun

Paul Nakada pnakada at oracle.com
Wed Jan 3 12:13:21 AEST 1990

Someone said that this may be of use to some people out there..  I hope
this is not a waste of bandwidth, but I have heard of many people with the
same problem.  On a related note, could someone tell me how to map keys
with key codes > 127?  the Xsun server barfs on them..

This is how to get a vt100 keypad on a sun Sparc 1

This is as close as I could get it...  this is the layout...

+-----------------------+
| PF1 | PF2 | PF3 | PF4 |
|-----+-----+-----+-----|
|  ,  |  /  |  *  |  -  |
|-----+-----+-----+-----|
|  7  |  8  |  9  |  n  |
|-----+-----+-----+  i  |
|  4  |  5  |  6  |  l  |
|-----+-----+-----+-----|
|  1  |  2  |  3  | ENT |
|-----------+-----+     |
|     0     |  .  |     |
|-----------+-----+-----|

since this displaces the cursor keys on the keypad, I had to remap them...
Idealy to the four useless keys on the bottom right of the normal
keysection, but the right meta key is unmappable because of server
problems.   So, I mapped the four arrow keys to the F9 - F12 function keys
at the top of the keyboard...

BTW.. for the best vt100 emulation use an xterm with font 8x13 (which is
actually the old x10 vt100 font...  here's how I start up a vt100 session

xterm -sf -fn vt -fb vtbold

The -sf is crucial, and as usual it's undocumented (I happened to be
browsing the xterm source when i noticed it.)

well.. here's the xmodmap file that goes along with this...  hope this
helps..

-Paul Nakada
pnakada at oracle.com

keycode 28 = KP_F1