Sparcstation 1 questions

Carl Rigney amdcad!cdr at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Sun Jan 28 06:28:00 AEST 1990

In answer to dkelly's questions:

I'm running a Wren V on my SparcStation 1 now.  I haven't gotten it to
boot from it yet, but it will mount /, /usr and swap from it after I've
booted from the ethernet.  Warning - you need a funny cable because the
4/60s and 3/80s have half-width SCSI connectors.  The part # for the cable
from Sun is X931H and they're $20.  Shoebox Wren V's are going for around
$2500 these days.  I switched the target # in the config file to 0 because
that was easier than changing the disk's SCSI target. :-)

I've been told that you can use standard 100ns SIMMs in the Sparcstation
for around $150/MB, I haven't tried it yet but plan to.  Talk to
Clearpoint or some other reputable memory vendor.

Some places are advertising 4Mb SIMMS for Sparcstations but they're still
pretty expensive.  Still, if you need more than 16MB and can't wait for
Sun to offer them, its worth looking into.

Carl Rigney
cdr at amdcad.AMD.COM	{ames att decwrl pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!cdr
MS 167; AMD; 901 Thompson Place; Box 3453; Sunnyvale, CA  94088
408-749-2453