Problem with NFS ?

Udaya Bhaskar Vemulapati vemula at shire.cs.psu.edu
Tue Jan 30 13:37:59 AEST 1990

We have a network of Sun-3 and Sun-4 (Sparcstations) operating on a common
file system through NFS protocols. I noticed the following problem
recently and I was wondering if it is a "specification" of NFS Or is a
problem...

- Log onto two different workstations. The user files on all systems are
  the same. So I modify one existing file from one system.

- From the other system I run a Tex program which reads this file through
  its "\input" command. And "tex" complains that the file I am trying to
  read is missing.

- However, on the same system that I ran Tex, "cat" on that file would be
  successful. Now if I run Tex, it will go through.

This is highly repeatable. It looks like a traditional "latest" copy
problem among multiple "update" processes.