resolver libraries

Kerien Fitzpatrick fitz at frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 31 09:01:14 AEST 1990

I am looking into using the resolver libraries available on uunet to allow
our Sun network to make use of the nameservers running at my site.  I must
be missing something because things are not working as I would expect.

The steps that I made are as follows:

1. copied the libc_resolver* to the correct name and ran ldconfig.
2. created a valid resolv.conf file in /etc.
3. changed /etc/hosts to contain only local hosts.
4. changed the makefile in /var/yp so it uses the -b flag when making the
   hosts YP database.
5. changed all YP servers and slaves to run ypserv -i.

Symptoms that I see are as follows:

If I ftp to uunet.uu.net (not listed in YP hosts) its IP address is
queried and the connection is opened.

If I rlogin to one of the Suns on our network using its short name the
response is that it is an unknown host.  If I qualify the name to the
point that it is a known domain of the nameservers that are being queried
the IP address is found and the connection is opened.

It seems to me that the YP databases are not being queried prior to the
nameserver as I would have expected and in fact don't seem to be queried
at all.  Can someone shed some light on what I am missing?

Kerien Fitzpatrick
fitz at frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu