Suitable Sparcstation 1 for X

Nicholas Jacobs toro!nick at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jan 9 06:18:48 AEST 1990

In article <3982 at brazos.Rice.edu> toro!nick at uunet.uu.net (Nicholas Jacobs) writes:

>We are currently evaluating workstations, one of which is a Sparcstation
>1.  Eventually we may want to run X windows on the machine and we are
>concerned about a suitable configuration of hardware.

I got several replies (about 7 or 8). The general (but not universal)
feeling seems to be that 8 Mbytes of memory is the bare minimum. Most
people seemed to think that 12 or 16 was better. A Sun rep. here in NYC
said that the unofficial policy is that if you want run X, you need to
have 16 Mbytes.

If people want copies of the summary, please feel free to email me.
Thanks again for your help,

Nicholas Jacobs