getwd() problems

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Mon Jan 29 12:32:12 AEST 1990

In article <4251 at brazos.Rice.edu> ktibv!ml at relay.eu.net (Marinko Laban) writes:

>We have two Sun's 4/110 (SunOS 4.0), both with a 325 Mb disk.  The two
>Sun's are called process1 and process2.
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
>So you see that we have cross-mounted the file-systems of both
>computers. Now something weird happens ...
>
>Suppose a user logs in into process1, and goes to the directory
>/usr/kti/proj2. Note that this is physically a directory of process2. When
>he tries to do a 'pwd' he gets the message "pwd: getwd: can't open .."
>
>When the user logs in into process2, and does the same, no problem ...
>When the user logs in on process2 and goes to /usr/kti/proj1, still no
>problem...

I have seen the same type of thing. The problem was with the mount point
itself for the NFS file system.  Try this, unmount the filesystem in
question, NOW check the permissions and make sure they are what you want
(Owner, mode, group), then re-mount it.

When a filesystem is NFS mounted, the permissions of the mount point
should be completely overridden by the permissions of the mounted file
system. This does not appear to be the case.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254