SunOS ancient history questions

Pat Barron pat at orac.pgh.pa.us
Sun Jul 1 17:47:32 AEST 1990

I've recently acquired several Central Data 8-port Multibus serial cards,
and would like to put them to use in my Sun-2/120.  SunOS 1.0 had a driver
for these cards (the "oct" driver), but it was unsupported.  It
disappeared from later releases of SunOS (even though, as of 3.5, vestigal
references to it still appear in /dev/MAKEDEV).  What ever became of it?
Does anyone have a driver for this card that works under 3.5?

One other thing I noticed in my wanderings around SunOS 1.0 was a
reference to a "ropc" driver.  And when I booted up my 2/120 under 1.0, a
device "ropc0" showed up during autoconfig.  Again, this does not appear
in 3.5, except vestigally (it's mentioned in conf/files [or maybe
conf/files.sun2], and /dev/MAKEDEV, and in OBJ/ropc.h, NROPC is defined as
0).  Anyone know what this driver was for?

Pat Barron
Internet:  pat at orac.pgh.pa.us  - or -   orac!pat at cert.sei.cmu.edu
UUCP:  ...!uunet!apexepa!orac!pat  - or -  ...!pitt!darth!orac!pat