Sun CD-Rom (was Re: Sparcstation SLC)

Paul Graham pjg at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:54:35 AEST 1990

purtill at bourbaki.mit.edu (Mark Purtill) writes:

|A while back I asked a few questions about the Sparc SLC, and promised a
|summary if there was interest.

|^me> 4. Someone mentioned a CD-ROM drive available, along with a CD-ROM
|^me> containing SunOS.  Can this be mounted as a file system
|  SunOS CD-Rom) as a /usr disk or not (some say yes, some say no).

The Sun CD-Rom is in High Sierra format. Since this implies certain file
system restrictions (or so I've been told) the Sun distribution is in the
form of tar images.

Here's an example:
azure:509 ~> ls /mnt/export/exec/kvm/sun4_sunos_4_1_psr_a
kvm            miniroot_sun4  sys            xdrtoc

Kvm and sys are the tars of what you'd expect.  So, yes you can mount this
but certainly not as /usr.  Perhaps the comment below has to do with
future Sun products.

|From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)
|| Yes it can be mounted, and it's a good way to save disk space if the data
|| you want is available on CD-ROM.  We're hoping to have SunOS on CD-ROM
|| "real soon", as they say in Marketing departments.

And of course there's a *bug*, but that's another message.