Adjacentscreens

Don Cox kodak!ektools!dcox at cs.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 7 00:47:54 AEST 1990

System type: Sun4/110, SunOS4.1

I am trying to run two versions of Sunview on the same machine using
adjacentscreens.  I know that it is possible to set it up so that you can
go from one monitor to another using adjacentscreens, but is it possible
to accomplish the same feat on the same monitor?

I would like to have one Sunview running with the b&w frame buffer, and
another with the color.  We have done this with X windows, but can't seem
to make it work with sunview.

Here is the script I am running:
suntools -s .color -8bit_color_only -toggle_enable &
sleep 20
suntools -i -s .sunview -d /dev/bwtwo0 -toggle_enable &
sleep 20
adjacentscreens -c /dev/fb -l /dev/bwtwo0

Here is the .sunview file:
clock
textedit
mailtool
cmdtool

Here is the .color file:
textedit
cmdtool -C

First off, /dev/bwtwo0 didn't exist, so I formed it using MAKEDEV.  Should
this have been part of the 4.1 initial install?

After making /dev/bwtow0 and running the script I got:
WIN ioctl number 80706728: Device busy
suntools: cannot create root window
The devices necessary to run SunView may not be available (check /dev).
System call error: Device busy
/dev/bwtwo0 has no windows on it

Is there a bug with the frame buffers on Sun4/110's running 4.1?  I am
also having problems when I move an icon.  The image of the icon of where
it use to be remains "underneath" the image of where the icon is moved to.
For example, say I move the mail icon half the width of the icon to the
left.  I will have on the screen two half images of the mailbox, and it
will remain that way until I do a screen refresh.  Am I just wierd or
what??  Any clues as to what is going on, and if I can use two sunviews on
the same monitor would be greatly appreciated.