Console extender cables question

Richard Stephen stephen at corp.telecom.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 02:40:55 AEST 1990

In article <8056 at brazos.Rice.edu> rzh at lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Anybody out there have experience with these 3rd party cables that allow
>the CRT for a Sun to be placed x feet from the CPU??

We have a Sun 3/260 with the standard color frame buffer and 19" monitor.
We are driving the monitor and keyboard/mouse from a 150 foot Workstation
extender made by Artecon (Carlsbad, CA; Voice 800-USA-ARTE; FAX
619-931-5527).  It works just fine.

What you get is a very large cable (1" diameter) that bundles 4 individual
coax cables for the video and one keyboard cable along with a small box of
electronics that is simply a power supply for the keyboard/mouse. The
video is driven directly down the coax cables with no
amplification/buffering.

It cost US$895. Their latest catalog shows extenders to support
monochrome, High Resolution and Color for Sun 3 and 4 in lengths from 13 -
150 feet.

One catch for readers outside North America: the power supply is designed
for US 110v only. However we are using a step down transformer 230/110v
with no problems.

Richard Stephen                           Technology Strategy
e-mail: stephen at corp.telecom.co.nz        Telecom Corporate Office
voice : +64-4-823 180                     Telecom Corporation of NZ Ltd
FAX   : +64-4-732 929                     P O Box 570, Wellington
                                          New Zealand