How do I implement asynchronous driver that works under sunview?

roderic at vicom.com roderic at vicom.com
Sat Jun 30 06:29:04 AEST 1990

[ In a recent message, I said I was having trouble getting a Sunview ]
[ event handler to read input asynchronously from a driver I'd       ]
[ written.  I had implemented SIGIO for the driver, but assumed      ]
[ I needed to do it in a more standard manner that SunView could     ]
[ manipulate.                                                        ]

As a number of people have pointed out to me, SunView does not implement
event handlers through signal catchers, but rather through a select()
command that blocks until input comes in on any of the file descriptors
the notifier expects input from.  My driver did not call selwakeup() in
its interrupt routine (which wakes up proceses blocked on select), and
that was the problem.  Many thanks to all those who took the time to
reply.