LANCE/ethernet problem. (original v9n179)

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Tue Jun 5 06:25:55 AEST 1990

In article <8324 at brazos.Rice.edu> pm at cs.city.ac.uk (Pete Mellor) writes:

>In v9n179, buengc!apollo at bu.edu (Douglas Chan) writes:
>
>> We're getting a lot of the following pairs of error messages:
>>  le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
>>  le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared

I had exactly the same problem and finally tracked it down to a thick-wire
ethernet transceiver cable not seating properly on a system on the
network.  What tracked it down for me was the flurry of messages everytime
we did a backup of that particular machine over the network. I checked the
date/time stamps of the messages in /var/adm/messages on the system
showing the messages, and matched it to the date/time stamp of my backup
log and it coincided perfectly with one of the machines.

This is something to look for on ALL ethernet networks out there. Check
the integrity of you transceiver cable connections. You may very well find
that the connectors don't seat deeply enough when mated. This is due to
the apparent lack of standardization in the length of the locking "posts"
on the connectors.  You may find that removing one or more of the washers
that space the posts out need to be removed to get adequate seating.

This of course varies with make of cable and such, your mileage may vary.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254