User dependent NFS problems

Jeff Lo jlo at elan.com
Thu Jun 7 08:16:23 AEST 1990

Our network here consists of a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 3.0, several
SPARCstation 1's running SunOS 4.0.3c, and a recently added SPARCserver
330 originally running SunOS 4.0.3 and now running SunOS 4.1.

The problem we are having is that a file system that resides on the VAX
can be mounted on the SPARCstations and accessed without any problems.
The same filesystem when mounted on the SPARCserver can only be accessed
by root.  Even doing just a df as a non-priviledged user results in the
following error messages:

	NFS fsstat failed for server elan: RPC: Authentication error
	/usr/local/src: I/O error

This happened both with 4.0.3 and 4.1.  The /etc/fstab entry for both
machines is the same:

	elan:/usr/local/src /usr/local/src nfs bg,rw,hard,intr,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0

and no access permissions have been placed on the file system in the VAX's
/etc/exports file.  The SPARCserver is able to mount and access file
systems from the SPARCstations with no problems at all.  I have run out of
ideas for fixing this!  Can anybody help?  Thanks!

Jeff Lo - Pilot In Training: 43.5 hours and climbing
Elan Computer Group, Inc.
jlo at elan.com, ..!{ames,uunet}!elan!jlo
888 Villa Street, Third Floor, Mountain View, CA 94041, 415-964-2200