NFS mounted /usr/spool/mail under SunOS 4.1

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Mon Jun 11 20:29:11 AEST 1990

In article <8453 at brazos.Rice.edu> convex!datri at uunet.uu.net (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>Certain people here who are against the idea of NFS mounting
>/usr/spool/mail (and doing mail on the workstations in general) say that
>the world will blow up because of the non-locking (most of our mail
>servers wouldn't be Suns).  Can anyone enlighten me on these issues?

The versions of sendmail.cf that come from Sun have the setting "OR"
turned on.  When sendmail detects that /var/spool/mail is NFS mounted, it
delivers mail to the server instead of writing directly into
/var/spool/mail.  That appears to solve the problem with multiple incoming
messages, but I'm not sure if MUSH, ELM, and all of the other mail reading
programs do the right thing while reading.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."