Sun H/W Quality Qontrol

Kent Hauser tfd!kent at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jun 29 02:56:54 AEST 1990

So what do you do when you get tired of your 3/60 swapping itself to
death? Easy -- add memory. SIMM sockets are there, ready and waiting.

Actually, not so ready.  I know this because when I added memory to my
3/60, I found that the `next' SIMM socket didn't work.  The problem was a
*missing* pin from the underside of the socket.  Nice empty reflowed hole
where a pin should have been.

The only way this could have passed testing is if there was none.  Pretty
bad when you consider that connectors and cables are the most defect prone
components in an electronic assembly.

Thanks Sun.

Kent Hauser			UUCP: {uunet, sun!sundc}!tfd!kent
Twenty-First Designs		INET: kent at tfd.uu.net
(202) 408-0841