System upgrade -- info needed..

Dale Gallaher dale at dandelion.ci.com
Thu Jun 7 23:06:35 AEST 1990

In article <8230 at brazos.Rice.edu> don at doug.med.utah.edu writes:

>2. Dec and their new line of unix like boxes.  One has to wonder about
>   their stratedgy with Unix and VMS.  Even today we would stay away from the
>   Unix boxes.

I wonder why you are saying this.  We have been using DEC Ultrix since
1985 and have been quite happy with there machines.  While the MVII was a
dog as far as todays performance standards go, the DECstation 3100's and
5000 are very nice machines.  We have both Sun and DEC machines in house
and the performance of the DEC RISC workstations is currently
significantly better the the SparcStation's (even the 1+).

This may change with new machines from Sun; however, I don't think it is
fair to eliminate DEC because of VMS.  They are quite comitted to Unix now
that it is the only thing that runs on the DECstation platform.

Dale Gallaher
Cognition Corp.
Billerica, MA