Micropolis 1558 capacity

Andrew J Michael Andrew.Michael at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 02:28:14 AEST 1990

I have a 3/60 with a shoebox containing a Micropolis 1355 141 Mb drive.
Yesterday I replaced the 1355 with a 1558, which gives me 327 Mb.  All is
fine, but ......

The data sheet for the 1558 says that it can support either 35 or 36
sectors per track, selectable by links on the drive.  The format.dat file
seems to want 35, so I strapped it accordingly.  However, by using only 35
sectors rather than 36 quite a lot of disk capacity seems to be going to
waste.

Has anyone got any ideas why Sun use 35 sectors rather than 36 ?  Has
anyone tried formatting a 1558 with 36 sectors per track ?  If I'd has
more time I would have tried it myself, but someone wanted the 3/60 to do
some work ...

Thanks

Andy Michael (eesrajm at cc.brunel.ac.uk)      " Software cannot be written to
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        be completely free of errors."
West Drayton
Middlesex                                    - Acorn Computers Ltd.
UB7 9PA