Sun's CD-ROM

Jason C Austin jason at cs.odu.edu
Sat Jun 2 09:05:03 AEST 1990

In article <8349 at brazos.Rice.edu> fitz at dirt.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Kerien Fitzpatrick) writes:
> I have a few questions about Sun's CD-ROM.  Maybe some knowledgeable Sun
> person would be nice enough to respond.
>
> o How is the mount/unmount handled?  Is root the only person allowed to
>   mount a disc that is in the player?
> o Is there a WORM or eraso-optical unit out on the market that will write
>   a CD capable of being read by Sun's CD-ROM (if so - please point out who)?
> o Our need for something like this is growing.  I would rather have a Sun
>   supported drive since hopefully it will cut down on...  "Well, the driver
>   worked until we upgraded to SunOS 4.8.3"

Since mount is the only way of accessing the CD-ROM as a file system, you
need to be root to change CDs.  In fact, the CD can't be ejected from the
drive as long as it is mounted.  In order to allow a select group of
people to use the CD without giving them root access, I've added a short
setuid to root script that mounts and umounts the CD and is only
executable by people in group cdrom.

I believe the CD-ROM driver for the Sun CD is included in SunOS 4.1, so if
you've already upgraded, you won't need to do quite some much kernal
changing.

Jason C. Austin
jason at cs.odu.edu