Delivery Problems with SS1+'s

Micheal Alan Shaffer shaffer at net-sun1.nih.gov
Mon Jun 11 22:08:38 AEST 1990

>1. Did these shortages, freezes, and inventories actually occur or is
>   three + months a typical delivery time for SS1+'s?  Is our experience
>   typical of Sun sales service?

Ours were promissed by May 11th. Today (Jun 11) they still can't tell us
when they will ship.

>2. We are getting a standard academic discount.  Is it possible that
>   academic discount customers get lowest priority for shipping?  In that
>   case, perhaps orders are coming in fast enough from "full price" customers
>   that we keep getting pushed to the bottom of the list.  That could go on
>   forever.

We are government and we are also having the same problems

Neat tricks Sun plays these days huh...Get us to invest $60K in a new
architecture, abandon it in one year, force us into their choice of
architecture and then foul up their deliverys so that we can't even have
that. If Sun doesn't straighten up people may start writing for other
machines. If they do I will switch!