Expanding Sun-3/470 memory, Sun-2 w/2MByte & SunOS 4.0.3

Steinar.Haug at elab-runit.sintef.no Steinar.Haug at elab-runit.sintef.no
Thu Jun 28 07:54:32 AEST 1990

Hello net! I have two questions:

1. We have a Sun-3/470 server with 16 MByte memory, and we're thinking of
   expanding it with a new memory card (probably not from Sun :-) of either
   16 or 32 MByte. (I assume they both use 4MBit chips.)

Anyway, with all the talk of how the Sparcstation-1 cannot efficiently use
more than 32 MByte of memory, I'd like to know if the 3/470 can make good
use of 48 MByte? At the moment the system is sometimes getting swamped
from swapping, mostly due to use of Oracle CASE tools which just seem to
gobble up memory.

2. We also have an old Sun-2 with 2 MByte memory, which is currently
   running 3.5. The only reason we keep it is that it has a frame-grabber
   card which we'd like to continue using. Is it possible to run 4.0.3 in 2
   MBytes? We're not concerned with performance here, just being able to use
   the system at all is good enough.

Steinar Haug, system/networks administrator
ELAB-RUNIT, University of Trondheim, NORWAY
Email: Steinar.Haug at elab-runit.sintef.no,
	sthaug at idt.unit.no, steinar at tosca.er.sintef.no