Format: hard sector count less than nsect

Christopher North-Keys harp at pkg.mcc.com
Wed Jun 27 07:01:54 AEST 1990

Funny.  Guess what I've been doing today.

[reference from /etc/format.dat follows]

disk_type = "Fujitsu-M2351 Eagle" \
	: ctlr = XY450 : fmt_time = 4 \
	: ncyl = 840 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 842 : nhead = 20 : nsect = 46 \
	: rpm = 3961 : bpt = 28160 : bps = 595 : drive_type = 0

Were running a 3/260, referencing the drive as xd0.

Within format, if you enter the defect submenu and type "commit", you will
be able to continue formatting without already having the defect list.
The effect is to initialize the defect list to zero.  This seemed
reasonable.

The formatting process appears to log defects as it discovers them.

The drive jumpers on our drive had to indicate *47* sectors per track,
rather than the expected 46, to avoid the error:

	"hard sector count less than nsect".

This did *not* seem reasonable.

We are still getting the message:
	"Warning: drive not set up for slip-sectoring"

It does not appear to be interfering with suninstall, which is still
running.  I currently suspect a drive jumper involving TAG4, 5 status
compatibility may be off, but I have no hard data to that effect;  the
Eagles may just not *do* slip-sectoring.

Christopher North-Keys                                  Assoc. Systems Analyst
Group Talisman                                                  Harp[@Mcc.Com]