Help: How To Address the Ethernet Interface on the Sun 3/50

Luther Chan CCECHAN at NUSVM.BITNET
Wed Jun 13 01:59:49 AEST 1990

I have several problems with the Sun 3/50 here.  First the harddisk did
not spin, now seems working. But some command seems to have problems, like
suntools, it may hang the system if activated. I believe the disk commands
are corrupted.  Anyway I will have to reformat the disk and reinstall
everything.

However my most urgent task at the moment is to make sure the Sun can
hookup to the LAN.  Early on I turned off the RIP on the rc.local (it was
the name server, I turned yellowpages off as well, we don't use it).  Upon
restart it said device not found.  The following are the questions and
things that I tried out.

1. How to address the ethernet interface on the sun? Is it ie0?

   When I issued: ifconfig ie0 up
   It gave me :    ioct<(siocg,fflags): no such interface.
   & when I issue:  netstat -r
   I can only see the interface lo0 for loopback.

2. How to format and reinstall Sun 3/50 on a stand alone harddisk?
  (note: we do not have these documentation, It appearently lost before
         I took over managing this Sun.)

Luther Chan Y.W.
Systems Programmer
E-MAIL: CCECHAN at NUSVM.BITNET