What type system am I on?

Don Cox kodak!ektools!dcox at cs.rochester.edu
Thu Jun 7 03:16:04 AEST 1990

I am writing a shell script that has to distinguish between a Sun4/260 and
a Sun4/490.  The 'arch' command returns 'sun4' on both machines.  Is there
a way, other than motd, that I can type the same command on either machine
and know which type Sun4 machine I am on?  Thanks.

[[Ed's Note: A shell script was posted in v8n202 which could be used to
tell the type of the machine that the command was invoked from. At the
time, it was out of date (didn't support the Sparc machines) so I imagine
that it's still out of date, however, it would probably be a good starting
point if nothing else.  -bdg]]

FTP:	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : machtype.script
	Filesize : 894 bytes

Archive Server Address: archive-server at rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source machtype.script

                  Don Cox
ARPA    dcox at ssd.kodak.com
UUCP	...rutgers!rochester!kodak!aviary!dcox