UNIFY on Sun Machines

Jeff Evarts unify!jde at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 13 10:51:00 AEST 1990

Crossposting to a relevant group regarding a recent posting in
comp.databases:

In article <119 at dmdev.UUCP> rohit at dmdev.UUCP (Rohit Mehrotra) writes:

>Does any one know if UNIFY 2000 database and ACCELL / SQL runs on SunOS 4.1.
>Sun claims that 4.1 is binary compatible with 4.0, however UNIFY claims
>it is not.
>
>I talked to UNIFY and they said that it is not even on their porting list,
>does that mean that UNIFY DOES NOT RUN ON SUN ?, as Sun will only ship out
>4.1 from this point onwards.

Unify has a policy of porting to the latest OS releases on major UNIX
platforms.  Sun ports will be done under the 4.1 OS.  We see this as a
strategic platform for our business and will continue to support our
software on Sun platforms as the OS evolves.

Information we received from Sun indicated binary compatibility between
4.0.3 and 4.1.  This may be the reason for some of the confusion as we do
have Sun product running under the 4.0 and 4.0.1 OS.

These ports are scheduled to be performed by the Porting Department of
Unify.  I am unaware of any negotiations that may involve the University
of Purdue.

Regards,

Frank Verardi                                               frank at unify.UUCP
Director, Client Services
Unify Corporation                                           (916) 920-9092