MAXTOR 200MB internal disk drive

Sid Stuart grub!sid at husc6.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 12 21:16:48 AEST 1990

In article <8559 at brazos.Rice.edu> b31 at nbi.csci.unt.edu (David Williams) writes:

>In article <8352 at brazos.Rice.edu> Wyatt at dockmaster.ncsc.mil writes:
>>
>> [Question about capacity of the MAXTOR 200MB Drive]
>
>I just installed 4 of these drives (Maxtor 200 MB internal) in two of my
>SS1 machines.  I'm truly worried that they run too hot - they give the
>term "burn in" a whole new meaning.  Has anyone noticed this also?  BTW, I
>got 191 MB of formatted space on all 4 drives (4.0.3c - no patches).

We have seen power supply problems with using more than one drive in the
SS1 when one of those drives is either a Maxtor 200 MB or Hitachi 250 MB.
I installed two Maxtors in an SS1. The system would not work correctly
until I set the jumpers for one to spin up at power on and the other to
spin up at first access. This worked, but the system still did not boot
reliably. It would take two or three tries at powering the system on
before the drives were recognized correctly.

We also have tried to run the Hitachi 250 MB drive and a Quantum 100 MB
drive in the same chassis. This would work sometimes, but we also had
problems with the Hitachi spinning up. The problem is that the larger
drives draw more current at startup time. The power supply on the SS1 has
trouble keeping up with the current draw. Our solution has been to use one
of the pizza box clones for the larger capacity drives.

Sid Stuart
sid at think.com