Cursor keys are dead - HELP!

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Sun Jun 3 04:24:23 AEST 1990

>I'll have to add one little thing to my original posting.  It is true that
>someone had run the defaults editor and turned off the action of the
>cursor keys.  However (and this is a big one), this change was GLOBAL to
>*ALL* users, including root, and there is no guarantee that it was done
>from my account.

For better or worse, neither "login" nor "sunview" nor any program like
that automatically resets keyboard translations to some "standard" value
when a user logs in; the translations are left alone, so if you change
them the next user gets your translations.

"input_from_defaults" *does* reset them based on what's in the
"defaultsedit" database; if you stick one in your ".profile" or ".login" -
making sure you use it only if you're running from a workstation console -
you, at least, won't get stuck with some other user's preferences.

If you think translations should be automatically reset when you log in,
lobby Sun.  This will probably be fixable in the next major release from
Sun, as that release will be S5R4-based and the S5R4 C shell has, as I
remember, a "global .login file" similar to the Bourne/Korn shell's
"/etc/profile"; you could stick some command to reset the translations
into those files.