Sparcstation SLC (Sun 4/20)

Mark Purtill purtill at bourbaki.mit.edu
Tue Jun 5 03:09:41 AEST 1990

A while back I asked a few questions about the Sparc SLC, and promised a
summary if there was interest.  Two people asked for the summary, so I
claim there is interest, so here it is, along with selected answers from
various people.  Thanks to everyone who responded.

^me> 1. Can the SLC be used as a standalone machine or does it need
^me> something else as a disk server?  (If the answer to this is that it
^me> can't stand alone, the remaining questions are moot).  I realize it
^me> comes diskless, but I'm assuming that disks can be added to the SCSI
^me> port.

From: khb at Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages)

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: Steve Simmons <scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us>
| Yes, I have seen it running as such.

^me> 2. Will Sun sell one to an ordinary mortal?  If not, are there Sun
^me> dealers out there who would?

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: roberto at bondi.phyast.pitt.edu (Roberto Gomez)

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig at verity.com>

From: pjg at acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)
| Yes, but you might have some problem.  Eakins and ERI both sell Suns.

^me> 3. Does it come with SunOS?  If so, how is it supplied?  How are new
^me> versions of the updgrade handled?  If there's anyone out there who
^me> uses a stand-alone Sun of any type, do you get useful support from
^me> Sun, or do they only care about large-network customers?

   Updates and support are available if you pay for them.

From: Larry.Wake at West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake - SE Sun SFValley - 818-905-0200)

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: Steve Simmons <scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us>

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig at verity.com>

From: pbg at cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: steve at umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| I don't know whether the 104MB Desktop Storage Modules come preloaded
| with SunOS.  If not, and probably even if it does (since the preloaded
| system is pretty basic), you'll need a distribution tape or CD.  I've
| heard some real horror stories with some individuals who've bought Suns
| and then tried to buy software having trouble (like a year's worth of
| trouble!) getting Sun to ship to them.  That could be a purely local
| problem.

^me> 4. Someone mentioned a CD-ROM drive available, along with a CD-ROM
^me> containing SunOS.  Can this be mounted as a file system, and if so
^me> would that save disk space?

  SunOS CD-Rom) as a /usr disk or not (some say yes, some say no).

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell at ulysses.att.com

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig at verity.com>

From: pbg at cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: pjg at acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)

From: steve at umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| Sun sells a CDROM for $995 list, and it works with the SLC.  If you buy
| before sometime in August, they throw in a 4.1 distribution CD.  It is a
| filesystem -- albeit a High Sierra filesystem --, but while you can mount
| it, and you can even boot it, you can't run off it (i.e., use it as /usr)
| indefinitely.

^me> 5. What's available in the way of cheap backup devices, e.g., tape
^me> drives or even floppies?

  not.

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell at ulysses.att.com

From: Steve Simmons <scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us>

From: pbg at cs.brown.edu (Peter Galvin)

From: pjg at acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)
| Either, but not from Sun.

^me> 6. How much do the SIMMs that it takes go for?  I gather these are 4
^me> megabytes with parity.

  where they list at $1450/4Megs.  Apparently you can get them for
  substantial discounts, tho.

From: John.Chadwick at West.Sun.COM (John Chadwick - Sun San Francisco SE)

From: ekrell at ulysses.att.com

From: roberto at bondi.phyast.pitt.edu (Roberto Gomez)

From: pjg at acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham)

From: steve at umiacs.UMD.EDU (Steve D. Miller)
| I don't remember what the SIMMs go for, but they're nonstandard SIMMs from
| what we heard at our meeting.  I don't think they're yet available from
| third-party folks, though I doubt they'll take long to reverse-engineer...

Other comments:

From: Mike Liveright @ VERITY <mliverig at verity.com>
| p.s. I think that many of the questions can be answered by phoning SUN
| directly. It will also give you a chance to see if you feel that
| they will treat you as a person...

Someone else:
| You might be able to qualify for a developer program... if you cobble
| up a suitable story (something about building a sw product). If so,
| you can get a good deal on a whole hw/sw package from Sun. Of course,
| I never said any of this (so remove my name before reposting!).

Thanks again to all who responded.  I hope none of you feel slighted by
what I chose not to quote from your articles!

^me> Mark Purtill
^me> ^.-.^ purtill at math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill at athena.mit.edu)
^me> ((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617)623-6238