LANCE/ethernet problem. (original v9n179)

Sean Hershberger sah at cs.purdue.edu
Sat Jun 2 02:28:54 AEST 1990

In v9n179, buengc!apollo at bu.edu (Douglas Chan) writes:

> We're getting a lot of the following pairs of error messages:
>  le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
>  le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared

> It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, it is just an annoyance...

> I've called Sun about it and they say it is caused by other systems on the
> network generating packet sizes greater than 1515.  I've tried tracking
> down the source(s) w/ etherfind but it doesn't seem to find anything
> generating packets larger than 1515.

I've seen this same problem as a result of noisy twisted pair connections.
In our particular case we fixed the problem by replacing the RJ-11 and
RJ-45 connectors we were using.  We had been using connectors, meant for
use on stranded wire, on solid wire.  The result was bad connections which
worked but generated a lot of noise.

Sean Hershberger		sah at arthur.cs.purdue.edu
Computer Hardware Engr.
Purdue University