Cursor keys are dead - HELP!

Andy Sun Anu-guest sun at me.utoronto.ca
Wed May 30 14:22:07 AEST 1990

In article <8237 at brazos.Rice.edu> GILLA at qucdn.queensu.ca (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>About a month ago, the cursor keys on our SPARCstation 1 stopped working
>in vi and textedit.  (They beep with no subsequent actions, or just do
>nothing at all.)  Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this, or what
>some dope with superuser status changed?  In fact, I need pretty explicit
>instructions on how to correct this (unix illiterate).  Anyone capable of
>helping me out??  Thank you.
>
>In case this means anything, the cursors keys seem to be sending the
>following (what appears on the screen at the csh prompt - not in sunview):
>uparrow ^[[215z  leftarrow ^[[217z  rightarrow ^[[219z  downarrow ^[[221z

Sounds like about a month ago, someone uses your account (if it was the
same one) and change some settings using defaultsedit. Try this:

(1) run defaultsedit (man defaultsedit and read about it if you like)
(2) click the "Category" icon until it shows "Input".
(3) Under entry "Sunview_Keys", make sure it reads (Yes)
(4) Under entry "Arrow_Keys", make sure it reads (Yes) <- this is probably
							  what's kills you
(5) save the changes and exit defaultsedit

You should get back the arrow keys.