Have a little time?

deckel at relay.nswc.navy.mil deckel at relay.nswc.navy.mil
Tue May 8 23:37:32 AEST 1990

1.  Yellow Pages:

First of all, whenever you make changes to /etc/passwd all that is
necessary is to "cd /var/yp; make passwd".  It is not necessary to remove
passwd.time.  It is simply an empty file used to keep track of the last
time that the YP passwd map was remade.  When you change the /etc/passwd
file its modification time is later than the modification time on
passwd.time, therefore, the "make" will know that the passwd file has
changed and it will remake it.

Also, "yppasswdd" shold be brought up on the master using the actual file
that you use to add new users.  You specified that you add new accounts to
/etc/passwd; that's how we do it.  We have yppasswdd started from rc.local
like:

     /usr/etc/yppasswdd /etc/passwd -m passwd

and everything works just fine.  I tried to do the same thing you did with
/var/yp/passwd but I didn't even have that file so I could never get
yppasswdd started.  Someone here told me that the manual references
/var/yp/passwd as an example if you plan to separate your accounts into
local users and YP users.  Users that you just want to use your local
system are added to /etc/passwd and users that you want to be under YP so
they can logon to other machines in the YP domain are added to
/var/yp/passwd.  If you do this then yppasswdd is started up using
/var/yp/passwd but, when you add new users, you have to add them to that
file.

Debbie Eckel
Naval Surface Warfare Center
deckel at relay.nswc.navy.mil