ipc, tli or sockets?

klaus u schallhorn cnix!klaus at relay.eu.net
Thu Nov 22 01:30:23 AEST 1990

Due to the installation of a network I have to redo our database server to
allow network access. So far applications communicated with this thing via
names pipes [fifos].

Consulting several books on the subject I decided to use sockets. They
look quite elegant to me. As an afterthought I ventured into the sun
manuals and guess what.

According to sun, sockets are a no-no as of 4.1 [they still work and are
used by sun], to be superceded by TLI in the near future. All new
applications should be done using TLI.

Anybody cares to voice an opinion? I'd prefer sockets, but if they're to
go "real soon now", I might delve into tli.