8-bit login trouble

Stig Jacobsen shj at login.dkuug.dk
Wed Nov 21 05:00:01 AEST 1990

I'm trying to setup a login for 8 databits, no parity. This should
(according man gettytab) be possible by using the 'p8' flag in
/etc/gettytab. It doesn't work very well. I get the "login:" prompt fine
with 8 bits, no parity, but after entering the userid, the "Password:"
prompt appears with 7 bits, even parity. The rest of the session is also 7
bits.. Could it be that getty supports 8bits but login does not?

My /etc/gettytab entry looks like,

	D9600-8|Fast-Dial-9600:\
		:sp#9600:p8:

.. and the /etc/ttytab entry of course references D9600-8. To verify that
the proper entry was used, I tried adding a 'lm=(8bit)login' entry, which
appeared as expected when I'd killed the getty.

This is on a Sun-2 running Sun-Os 4.0.3.

Stig Jacobsen
shj at login.dkuug.dk