Sun and MIDI; do I have to roll my own dev driver?

Brian R. Smith plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!brsmith at uunet.uu.net
Wed Nov 28 07:32:29 AEST 1990

In <271 at brchh104.bnr.ca> dormer at cs.purdue.edu (John Dormer) writes:
>I imagine someone else has already tackled the problem of connecting a
>MIDI device to a Sun 3-* Workstation (4.0.?), and made it work. I need to
>talk to you if either you or someone you know has done this.

I tried for a time to hack together a bidirectional baud-rate converter,
so that I could interact with MIDI from a sun, using the standard serial
ports.  I had only marginal success.  I did, at various times, get each
direction working on a breadboard, but not once I tried to wire them on a
permanent board.  Lack of decent equipment and experience...

If this sounds like what you need, let me know and I'll mail you the
schematics/part list.

Brian
brsmith at cs.umn.edu