YP problems/semantic questions...

Barry Suskind E-Systems suskind at mdcbbs.com
Wed Nov 28 07:32:29 AEST 1990

In article <ERIC.90Nov5180119 at picard.sbi.com>, eric at picard.sbi.com (Eric Ho) writes:

> 1). Suppose you're on a YP master and you invoked rpc.yppasswdd as this from
>     rc.local :-
>
> 	rpc.yppasswdd /var/yp/private/passwd -nogecos -m passwd \
> 	DIR=/var/yp/private

I have to assume you have YPSERV and YPBIND running on the master & you
have the "+::0:0:::" at the bottom of your /etc/passwd file on the master.

> I found that if one does passwd(1) on the YP master, one is basically inviting
> trouble... user doing a "passwd" only updates the password in /etc/passwd
> and not the YP maps.

Yes, futhermore, in SunOS 4.1 you cannot do a "mv yppasswd passwd" to
prevent this from happening as your could in SunOS 4.0.3 because SUN has
merge the two programs and uses argv[0] when the program is invoked to
determine what to do.