/bin/login hangs if an NFS server down?

Chris Johnson chris at com50.c2s.mn.org
Wed Nov 21 05:00:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct26.221451.18656 at rice.edu> auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) writes:
>>|Does anybody know what the heck /bin/login is doing in that child process
>>|that takes 1'16" to terminate?  Is it secretly doing a df?
>
>You may not be running quotas, but unless the client has done all its NFS
>mounting with the "noquota" option, "/usr/ucb/quota", which is run by
>"/usr/bin/login", will still try to talk to the quota daemons on all the
>servers for file systems the client has mounted in order to find out
>whether the user logging in is over quota or not.  If the server is down,
>this will time out, and take a while to do so.

So, if you want to get around this hang, and are not running quotas,
you've got a few choices.  Instead of mounting with the noquota option
(since it's not a default, you'll have to remember it all the time for
manual mounts), we here instead just replaced /usr/ucb/quota with a link
to /usr/bin/true.  Makes things run a lot quicker at bootup and login,
since the quota check turns into a very short program call.