restricting acces via chroot()

Chris Johnson chris at com50.c2s.mn.org
Wed Nov 21 05:00:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct26.221430.18602 at rice.edu> cnix!klaus at relay.eu.net (klaus u schallhorn) writes:
>I just tripped over sun's dynamic linking when trying to do the following:
>
>All the system utilities that came with the distribution and that badguy
>is allowed to use have been linked dynamically. The only thing that works
>is the sh [staic loading, csh doesn't] and my own code loaded statically.
>If I try to "ls" or any distribution program I get
>
>	crt0.o: no /usr/lib/ld.so

This is just a wild idea from experiences trying to kludge (rhymes with
rouge, you non-programmers-you) together a system installation that went
awry.  But maybe the problem you are having is because Mr. badguy can no
longer find the libraries to link to them.  Maybe that's so obvious you
didn't ask about it having already checked it, or maybe you overlooked it.
For a dynamically linked program to load, it's going to need all the
parts, the loader/linker and the libraries.  If someone else hasn't
already used the library to get it into cache, maybe this is what results.

Sorry if this shot from the hip is wrong.  Hope someone who's an expert in
this will come along and straighten us both out, if so.

   ...Chris Johnson          chris at c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522