record locking with fcntl

Terry McCoy tmm33 at leah.albany.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

I have written a function that uses fcntl to lock a segment of a file.
The function works when the file is located on the local filesystem.  But
when I attemp to use this function to perform locking on a file that is
located on a NFS mounted filesystem the program will crash with a panic
within the kernel "Memory address alignment".  I did use the F_RSETLK
command when trying to lock the file on the NFS filesystem as opposed to
F_SETLK on the file that was on a local filesystem.  Any ideas why the
lock on the NFS filesystem will cause the panic and the lock on the local
filesystem does not.

Terry McCoy
internet:    tmm33 at leah.albany.edu