Why the resolver libraries are unsupported

Jim Flanagan flanagan at lisbon.stat.washington.edu
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

I found out why the libc_resolv.so.sun{3,4} libraries available from uunet
are unsupported. It looks like Sun is basically ignoring them in releasing
new versions of SunOS. I made the mistake of installing
libc_resolv.so.sun4 on a SLC running 4.1. Most commands after that gave a
"symbol some_symbol not found at 0xNNN" error. Unfortunately, both rm and
ldconfig were among these commands. I thought I had trashed the system.

Fortunately, ln was not among the disabled commands, and I linked the old
library to a new name with a higher index (libc.so.1.5.2) and did a L1-A
and rebooted. I got the machine back. Great fun.

Does anyone know when resolver libraries will be available for 4.1?  They
are so useful...

  Jim Flanagan
  flanagan at stat.washington.edu