Advice on PC-NFS, lifeline, WordPerfect, and Interleaf

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep18.204339.9329 at rice.edu> oliveau at cs.ucla.edu (Greg Oliveau) writes:

>I also require a word processor, like you might find on a PC.  Many of us
>use WordPerfect on our PC's, so it would be nice to use the same on a Unix
>workstation.  But WP only has through version 4.2 on the Suns!

Actually, the August issue of WordPerfect Magazine has an ad in the
Product Guide announcing WP 5.0 for UNIX, which I assume means SUN.  I
don't know how long it's been out, or when 5.1 will be ready.

The address and phone # are:
WordPerfect Corp.
1555 North Technology Way
Orem, UT 84057
801-225-5000

Another alternative that works well is to run WP under DOS Windows.  I
have successfully run both WP5.0 and WP5.1 (graphics, mouse, the works)
within DOS Windows.  If you know how to do it, you can even get your
dot-matrix printer to do everything it's supposed to do.  However, it was
NOT EASY to figure out how.  I will address the subject of dot-matrix
8-bit printers in a later posting, probably next week.

Two problems with WP under DOS Windows: First, the screen is small, 80char
by 24 lines, just like in DOS.  This is an intrinsic limitation of DOS
Windows itself. Second, DOS Windows doesn't run under SUN-OS 4.1, so if
you upgrade from 4.0.3, you're out of luck, at least for now.  Anybody out
there know if SUN plans to fix this problem?