Make and heterogeneous architectures

Will Nelson will at genbank.bio.net
Mon Oct 8 07:30:00 AEST 1990

I know that someone must have faced this problem before, so I thought I
would draw upon the net's collective wisdom before trying to re-invent the
wheel.

We have a single large source hierarchy that is NFS-mounted on both SUN3
and SPARC systems. This business of make clean followed by total rebuilds
is wearing thin fast. Can someone supply me with a sample Makefile that
supports maintaining .o files of different architectures in separate
subdirectories?

I have looked at the 4.1 "make User's Guide" in the SUN Programming
Utilities and Libraries documentation.  They have something similar in
Figures 5-10 and 5-11, and it's just about what I want, but not quite.

Thanks in advance.

Will Nelson			Internet: will at presto.ig.com
Intelligenetics, Inc.		Uucp:     ames!ig.com!presto!will
700 East El Camino Real		(415) 962-7363
Mountain View, CA  94040